Sunday, November 27, 2005

Thoughts as a new father

Here are some random thots from YL.... :
(He has been missing lots of sleep and has difficulties organising his thoughts logically...)

1) As I was with Sze in the delivery room, a great sense of affection towards her seemed to overwhelm me as I witness what she had to go through.

2) The emergence of Isaac's head is a most miraculous event and hearing his first cry is sublimal. It took a while for me to realise the fact that this boy is my son(!) whom Sze has been carrying for the past 9 months...then it is this unconditional compassion and affection that you suddenly have for your son that comes flowing!

3) Enduring through the sleepless nights assisting with feeding, burping and changing diapers has been most trying for me...To me, it seems harder then doing a PhD. In London, I thought that the sleepless nights I had struggling with quantum theory had been bad but this seems even more trying...Here, you have a human life placed in your hands! But as for Sze, she seemed to possess this superhuman ability despite her relative physical weakness...maybe its the maternal instinct that God has gifted to all mothers!

4) Holding Isaac in my hands and telling him that I love him suddenly made me realise that maybe thats how God feels about us. God wants us to know but our limited human ability and stubborness makes it hard...and we will have to grow and learn through experience in order to appreciate His love more fully... Its the same for Isaac. For right now, he doesn't know that the people who love him are his parents.. but he will surely learn and understand as he grows up...

5) Suddenly, you appreciate your parents a lot more!


6) Anyway, I like his chinese name, 家乐 (pronounced as "Jia Le", which means "Joy of the Family".)

7) What always sticks to my mind is the scent of the newborn baby's head....(which is a lyric from a U2 song... "Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head")... the first thing I did instinctively was to smell his head.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's beautiful! (the baby, I mean)
Congratulations, cuz!! Love from London.