Wednesday, August 31, 2005

27+ week checkup

Went for another midwife checkup at the GP this morning...

We had the privilege of seeing two midwives at one go: a professional British midwife and another midwife intern from Germany. After the routine blood pressure and urine sample check, I got up to the bed for the midwives to have a feel of Bambino through my tummy... YL loves this part as he gets to hear Bambino's heartbeat again.

The midwife intern tried to listen to Bambino's heartbeat through this silver micro-gramophone look-a-like equipment, which didn't seem to work very well...she gave up on that and went for the electronic doppler instead which yielded some sound, but she said that those were the sound of the umbilical cord, etc. She commented that Bambino was moving a lot resulting in her having problems locating his heart!! The professional midwife took over and after some adjustments, finally managed to track Bambino's heart and that familiar strong "boom boom" sound once again resonated through the room!

I asked her where Bambino's head and bum is and after some very professional caressment of my tummy, she located his head and butt (he was once again head down and butt up, diagonally across my tummy). She mentioned that he seemed extremely active and said that she wouldn't be surprised if he somersaulted himself the other way by the afternoon! (In YL's quantum physics research term, this is known as a "spin flip".)

Indeed, I feel that Bambino is getting more and more active....his kicks have been stronger these days. Also, i think he is developing that quirky sense of humour that YL had hoped for... Now, whenever i feel him move and tell YL, and YL puts his hand on my tummy, instead of following YL's hand, Bambino would stay quiet! But when I put my hand back on my tummy, he would resume his activity again! Haha...he's playing hide-and-seek with his Daddy!

No comments: